This issue was first reported to dspace-tech (see http://email@example.com/msg15966.html ), but I've verified it is a bug.
Essentially, when running the AIP Backup & Restore packager in Submit mode (-s), you cannot submit a individual Community or Collection AIP(s) which have associated Access Control Group (e.g. COMMUNITY_[id]ADMIN, COLLECTION[id]ADMIN, COLLECTION[id]_SUBMIT).
The reason for the failure are that the METSRightsCrosswalk and RoleCrosswalk (& associated RoleIngester) are unable to fully (re-)create any associated Access Control Groups without access to the main SITE AIP (which stores all EPeople information).
The errors commonly seen include:
- "Unable to translate Handle to Internal ID in group named ..." (caused by and thrown via the METSRightsCrosswalk)
- "EPerson ____ not found, not added to [group name]" (thrown by the RoleCrosswalk)
The only known workaround is to do the following:
(1) Temporarily disable the RoleCrosswalk & METSRightsCrosswalk in your dspace.cfg file by adding the following settings
mets.dspaceAIP.ingest.crosswalk.METSRIGHTS = NIL
mets.dspaceAIP.ingest.crosswalk.DSPACE-ROLES = NIL
(2) Re-run your Packager command to submit your Community or Collection AIP (there is no need to restart Tomcat, as you are running this from the commandline). This command is similar to:
[dspace]/bin/dspace packager -s -a -t AIP -e [eperson] -p [parent-handle] [full-path-to-AIP]
For more details see: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC18/AIP+Backup+and+Restore
(3) Finally, remove those above settings from your dspace.cfg
The above steps will let you successfully submit a Community or Collection AIP to a new DSpace install. However, NONE of the associated access control groups (or EPeople in those groups) will be recreated. You will need to create any necessary access controls after the Community or Collection has been created successfully.
Currently, a code fix/patch for this is unknown. It may be that running in "submit" mode means that EPeople/Group/Permissions just cannot be created successfully.