Uploaded image for project: 'DSpace'
  1. DSpace
  2. DS-1906

Shibboleth attributes may need to be reconverted

    Details

    • Type: Improvement
    • Status: Closed (View Workflow)
    • Priority: Minor
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 4.0
    • Fix Version/s: 4.2, 5.0
    • Component/s: DSpace API
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:
      apache 2.2
      mod_jk
      mod_shib (shibboleth 2.4.3)
      tomcat 6
      openjdk-6 and openjdk-7 (tested with both)
    • Attachments:
      0
    • Comments:
      11
    • Documentation Status:
      Needed

      Description

      Shibboleth attributes are UTF-8 encoded by default. Some servlet container converts them from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8, ignoring that they already are UTF-8 encoded. If the attributes includes characters that have different byte sequences in ISO-8859-1 then in UTF-8 these characters get destroyed.

      https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/NativeSPAttributeAccess#NativeSPAttributeAccess-Tool-SpecificExamples documents an ugly work around. It reconverts the attributes from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 to get the attributes as they were. I took some time to look for another solution, but I haven't one. I did not see any possibility to tell tomcat that the environment variables already are UTF-8 encoded. As this problem and solution is documented in the official shibboleth wiki, I implemented this work around. As this should not be the default behavior I made it configurable in [dspace]/config/modules/authentication-shibboleth.cfg and switched it off by default.

        Attachments

          Activity

            People

            • Assignee:
              hardyoyo Hardy Pottinger
              Reporter:
              pbecker Pascal-Nicolas Becker
            • Votes:
              0 Vote for this issue
              Watchers:
              4 Start watching this issue

              Dates

              • Created:
                Updated:
                Resolved: