Uploaded image for project: 'DSpace'
  1. DSpace
  2. DS-239

java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: resource

    Details

    • Type: Bug
    • Status: Accepted / Claimed (View Workflow)
    • Priority: Major
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: 1.5.2
    • Fix Version/s: 1.6.1
    • Component/s: XMLUI
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:
      Solaris 10, Fedora 9
    • Attachments:
      3
    • Comments:
      18

      Description

      We currently have two instances of dspace that we use, a live dspace and dspacetest.

      Dspacetest was recently (about a month or two ago), upgraded from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2, with no problems. You can see it in all it's glory here: dspacetest.nt.gov.au

      Today, we attempted to upgrade our live dspace instance to 1.5.2. After restarting tomcat though, we got a java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: resource error (full stack trace included).

      After looking around I found that in 1.5.1 there was a cocoon.xconf which included

      <component-instance class="org.apache.excalibur.source.impl.ResourceSourceFactory" name="resource"/>
      which I assume is pointing to the resource. Looking around I couldn't find cocoon.xconf anywhere in 1.5.2 and thought it must have been removed. But still needing the site to work I included it back in webapps/xmlui/WEB-INF, which still did nothing at the time.

      Looking in webapps/xmlui/WEB-INF/web.xml shows that 1.5.1 included

      <servlet>
      <servlet-name>Cocoon</servlet-name>
      <display-name>Cocoon</display-name>
      <description>Cocoon</description>

      <servlet-class>
      org.dspace.app.xmlui.cocoon.DSpaceCocoonServlet
      </servlet-class>

      <init-param>
      <param-name>configurations</param-name>
      <param-value>/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf</param-value>
      </init-param>

      but that 1.5.2 doesn't and seems to use DSpaceCocoonServletFilter instead

      After playing around a bit more, moving files here and there, finally I received no more errors and could view the webpage. However it turns out that all I did was return the xmlui/WEB-INF folder to its exact state before upgrading to 1.5.2, so that technically the site was still running on 1.5.1 code.

      What I would like is any assistance if possible, as to why I would get this error on one instance of dspace, after another instance had been upgraded properly.

      To go through my processes for upgrading:

      ran mvn package in src/dspace-1.5.2-src-release
      turned off tomcat (which by the way, both instances of dspace are using the same instance of tomcat)
      ran ant update in src/dspace-1.5.2-src-release/dspace/target/dspace-1.5.2-build.dir
      ran ant update_configs in src/dspace-1.5.2-src-release/dspace/target/dspace-1.5.2-build.dir (which is redudant?)
      restarted tomcat

      If it helps the live site is www.territorystories.nt.gov.au, and though looks good is using 1.5.1 code.

      Thanks
      Jennifer Whalan

        Attachments

        1. Live.zip
          2.82 MB
        2. stack.txt
          35 kB
        3. Test.zip
          2.82 MB

          Issue Links

            Activity

              People

              • Assignee:
                mdiggory Mark Diggory
                Reporter:
                mdiggory Mark Diggory
              • Votes:
                0 Vote for this issue
                Watchers:
                8 Start watching this issue

                Dates

                • Created:
                  Updated:
                  Resolved: