Uploaded image for project: 'DSpace'
  1. DSpace
  2. DS-29

Imporper display of Umlauts / Encoding of messages_de.xml - ID: 2413800

    Details

    • Type: Bug
    • Status: Closed (View Workflow)
    • Priority: Major
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: None
    • Fix Version/s: 1.5.2
    • Component/s: XMLUI
    • Labels:
      None
    • Attachments:
      0
    • Comments:
      1

      Description

      The file

      http://code.google.com/p/dspace-sandbox/source/browse/modules/dspace-xmlui-
      lang/trunk/src/main/webapp/i18n/messages_de.xml

      starts with the line:

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

      as opposed to all other message files starting with

      <?xml version="1.0"?>

      I have Dspace 1.4.2 with Manakin 1.1a installed as a test installation and
      loaded this file, knowing that it would not work flawlessly because it is
      meant for a newer version of Manakin. In my test instance Umlauts did not
      display properly. However, I found that I am not the only one with this
      issue and most installations of DSpace 1.5 that are already using Manakin
      as their interface show the very same behaviour. E.g.

      <http://minds.wisconsin.edu/>
      <http://dspace.cpm.unimib.it/xmlui/>

      I changed the first line to

      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>,

      rebuilt using ant build_wars. Now, my display is fine:

      <http://stadtteilgeschichten.net/cvoelker_manakin/>

      I am confident that omitting the encoding completely would work as well,
      but I had not seen before that every other language file did it that way. I
      am willing to test it if it is worth anything to test it under Manakin
      1.1a.
      I guess Claudia who wrote this file has a different setup for her Apache or
      JSP container so that the same thing works fine at her place with the
      encoding as set in the file. This is why I report my locale setting:

      LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

      I suggest that the first line of the messages_de.xml file in the repository
      should be changed to either ommit the encoding or setting it to UTF-8 so
      that messages get displayed properly on sites where the file is just used
      without people in charge being aware that their site looks weird if seen in
      a language which is not their mother tongue. Their could be an additional
      comment line giving a hint to german users on how to switch back in case
      their server setup requires them to do so.

      Bye, Christian Völker, stadtteilgeschichten.net e.V.

        Attachments

          Activity

            People

            • Assignee:
              Unassigned
              Reporter:
              kipkorir2008 Charles Kiplagat
            • Votes:
              0 Vote for this issue
              Watchers:
              0 Start watching this issue

              Dates

              • Created:
                Updated:
                Resolved: